This site uses cookies. By using it, you agree to their use. To find out more, read our Privacy Policy.
Accept
Wrexham Council News
  • Biz & education
  • Council services
  • People & place
  • Events
  • Video
  • Other
  • Welsh
Reading: Enter the dragon to Wrexham
Share
Notification Show More
Latest News
Road
Help keep roads safer – have your say!
People & place
Fix it Feb - repair before replace
Reasons to join Repair Café Wales’ “Fix it Feb” campaign
People & place Decarbonising Wrexham
Heart tree - love your environment this Valentine's Day
How you can love your environment this Valentine’s Day (Feb 14)
People & place Decarbonising Wrexham
New youth mobile provision to be launched 17th February…
New youth mobile provision to be launched 17th February…
Council services People & place
Group of children holding a St David's Day flag
Wrexham set to celebrate St David’s Day with packed city centre programme
Events People & place
Wrexham Council News
Search
  • Biz & education
  • Council services
  • People & place
  • Events
  • Video
  • Other
  • Welsh
Follow US
© 2023 Cyngor Bwrdeistref Sirol Wrecsam
Wrexham Council News > Blog > Events > Enter the dragon to Wrexham
EventsPeople & place

Enter the dragon to Wrexham

Last updated: 2025/06/10 at 10:14 AM
Share
4 Min Read
HMS Dragon
SHARE

Sailors from HMS Dragon will parade through the streets of Wrexham on Friday, June 13 as they celebrate the Freedom of the City for the first time.

Watched by local dignitaries – and hopefully many local residents – the crew of the Type 45 destroyer will march through the heart of the city centre before being hosted at an official reception to cement the bond.

The ship was adopted by Wrexham last summer and civic leaders promptly bestowed their highest honour upon the Portsmouth-based warship and her ship’s company.

Their hectic schedule – which included a milestone first takedown of a supersonic missile by the Royal Navy during NATO exercises off the coast of northwest Scotland in May – has prevented the ship’s company from exercising their right until now.

Since then, when Dragon’s demanding programme has allowed, the 200-strong ship’s company have been preparing for the hometown visit, including undertaking specific drill training to reach the highest standards required for the march.

Ahead of the parade the ranks will be inspected by Wrexham’s Mayor Councillor Tina Mannering, who will also take the salute of the marching sailors at Queens Square alongside Commanding Officer Commander Iain Giffin.

HMS Dragon

Commander Iain Giffin said: “There is no greater honour that a city can bestow than the Freedom of the City and I humbled that Wrexham has extended this privilege to HMS Dragon.

“Today is a proud moment for HMS Dragon and a fitting opportunity to demonstrate the professionalism of our sailors, marching in full ceremonial dress, with drums beating, flags flying and bayonets fixed, as a mark of respect and gratitude to the people of Wrexham.”

The Mayor of Wrexham, Councillor Tina Mannering, said: “It will be a tremendous honour to take the salute of the sailors as they march through the city, and I hope as many people as possible will turn out to support the parade.

“This will be a fantastic occasion, as we celebrate our wonderful partnership with HMS Dragon.”

Armed Forces Champion, Councillor Beverley Parry-Jones, added: “Wrexham has always been proud of its links with the armed services and it will be wonderful to welcome the crew to the county borough, so they can celebrate the Freedom of the City.

“HMS Dragon is the first ship affiliated with Wrexham since the Second World War, and we are tremendously proud of this very special relationship.”

The sailors will march onto Llwyn Isaf green (outside the Guildhall) at 10.40am, before marching through the city centre.

In being named Freemen of Wrexham, the sailors are in select company including Hollywood superstars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney.

Road closures

There will be some will be some temporary road closures and access restrictions in place from 10.55am on the day (Friday June 13), including…

Chester Street closure

There will be a full road closure on Chester Street until 11.15am. During this time, there will be no vehicle access to the following locations via Chester Street:

  • Guildhall
  • Waterworld
  • Memorial Hall
  • Wellbeing Hub
  • Crown Buildings
  • Library
  • Courts

Additionally, no vehicles will be able to exit the Guildhall or Library car parks during this period.

The remainder of the parade route will be managed via rolling road closures, meaning traffic will be temporarily stopped as the parade passes.

This disruption should last approximately 10 to 15 minutes per location.

During this time, there will be no vehicle access through the city centre bollards – this includes taxis, church access and other usual exceptions.

Share
Previous Article HMS Dragon Welcome aboard!
Next Article Green garden waste bin It’s (still) not too late to sign up for garden waste collections

Stay connected

17k Followers Like
24.1k Followers Follow
3.3k Followers Follow
- Sign up -
Ad image

Latest news

Road
Help keep roads safer – have your say!
People & place February 16, 2026
Fix it Feb - repair before replace
Reasons to join Repair Café Wales’ “Fix it Feb” campaign
People & place Decarbonising Wrexham February 13, 2026
Heart tree - love your environment this Valentine's Day
How you can love your environment this Valentine’s Day (Feb 14)
People & place Decarbonising Wrexham February 13, 2026
New youth mobile provision to be launched 17th February…
New youth mobile provision to be launched 17th February…
Council services People & place February 11, 2026

You might also like

Road
People & place

Help keep roads safer – have your say!

February 16, 2026
Fix it Feb - repair before replace
People & placeDecarbonising Wrexham

Reasons to join Repair Café Wales’ “Fix it Feb” campaign

February 13, 2026
Heart tree - love your environment this Valentine's Day
People & placeDecarbonising Wrexham

How you can love your environment this Valentine’s Day (Feb 14)

February 13, 2026
New youth mobile provision to be launched 17th February…
Council servicesPeople & place

New youth mobile provision to be launched 17th February…

February 11, 2026
Wrexham County Borough Council
//

Wrexham Council News provides all the latest news from your county borough council.

Quick links

  • Customise interests
  • Reading list
  • MyUpdates
  • Contact the council
  • Privacy policy

Get our top stories…

Subscribe to our newsletter to get latest news and info from Wrexham Council.

Sign up
Wrexham Council News
Follow US

© 2025 Wrexham County Borough Council

Removed from reading list

Undo
Wrexham Council News
Welcome back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?
  • Cymraeg
  • English