We’re aware of unlicensed dog breeding activities being carried out within the Wrexham area and our officers are currently checking out websites and social media used to advertise the sale of puppies.
A licence is required if you breed 3 or more litters within a 12 month period. You do not need to sell the puppies to need a licence.
If you believe you may need a licence, please contact the Food and Farming Team on 01978 298997 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ultimately, the licence is in place to ensure that the welfare standards of the dogs are being met.
If you are considering buying a puppy, please take the following advice:
- Get as much information about the puppy, the parents and siblings as possible
- Meet the puppy and its parents in their own environment and try to meet the puppy more than once
- Be aware of being told that you cannot see the mother because she is being walked, with a friend or at the vets.
- Ask to see any documents relating to vaccinations, microchipping and any relevant health tests
- Never meet or buy a puppy from places such as car parks or a lay-by
- Be aware of multiple phone numbers being use and similar photographs on different adverts
- Ask to see their council licence
- Don’t feel rushed into making a decision or handing over any money
- Don’t be afraid to say no