The Council’s Executive Board met last week where it approved the Housing Revenue Account (HRA) Business Plan. Wrexham Council will be investing £58.9 million into the Council housing stock of over 11,000 properties throughout the 2021/22 financial year.
For the last three years, substantial refurbishment of empty council properties has been undertaken to bring them up to the ‘Wrexham standard’. Work includes extensive plastering and external works leading to a very high quality standard and finish for tenants. As at January 2021, there have been 2,561 properties refurbished. This amounts to 23.2% of the overall housing stock.
Taking into consideration, the views of tenants in the latest tenant and leaseholder satisfaction survey, Wrexham Council has provided a list of priorities for the pending financial year. These include:
- Delivery of the capital investment programme (Kitchens, bathrooms, Roofing, External Wall Insulation etc.)
- Increasing the Council’s housing stock through the Build and Buy Programme, which includes new build housing for our tenants;
- Remodelling and refurbishment of sheltered housing stock;
- Reducing homelessness and end the need for anyone to sleep rough;
- Revisiting and revise service delivery models to support those who are homeless and in particular rough sleeping;
- Sustaining tenancies;
- Vacant property management including major refurbishment;
- Repairing and maintaining housing stock following the achievement of the Welsh Housing Quality Standard (WHQS); and
- Continual service improvement.
The Business Plan shows Wrexham’s commitment to achieving the Welsh Housing Quality Standard and is supported by a 30 year financial model. The full HRA Business plan will be available on our website shortly.
Cllr David Griffiths, Lead Member for Housing said “Wrexham Council Housing are investing an unprecedented amount of time and money into their housing stock, providing our tenants with homes and communities they can be proud of.”
Wrexham Council wants to provide homes that are well managed, decent and warm, with modern facilities to create sustainable tenancies.GET THE FACTS