Due to covid restrictions, it’s been quite some time since many of us experienced a live event such as a music or comedy gig.

Supporting live events is a great way of helping the live industry bounce back after a long time of not being able to operate.

Work in social care and be the lifeline your community needs.

However sometimes events may not be able to go ahead as planned.

Should this happen we have put together some handy information detailing the routes that you could use in getting your money back.

General advice regarding cancelled events

Getting a refund on an event ticket

If you bought your ticket from an official seller you can get a refund if the organiser cancels, moves or reschedules the event. The organiser will tell you how to get a refund.

You’re unlikely to get a refund if you bought your ticket from a reselling (or secondary ticketing) website, a private seller or a fan-to-fan website.  You’re not entitled to a refund if you change your mind about going or realise you can’t go anymore.

You’ll probably only get the face value of the ticket back – the amount printed on it. Some sellers might refund postage if, for example, the event is cancelled before the tickets are sent. If you had to pay any booking or card fees, you might not get those back.

You won’t usually get any travel or accommodation costs back unless they were part of a package which included the ticket.

Check the ticket seller’s website for their terms and conditions to find out what liability is excluded or limited.

If a company stops trading or goes out of business

Get details of the administrator or receiver – the person who is dealing with settling the trader’s debts. The names of those administrators will usually be on the website of the company that’s gone bust. You’ll need this information if you need to make a claim.

When you know for certain that a company has gone out of business and you haven’t got what you paid for, you can try to get money back by:

Registering a claim as a creditor – When you register a claim as a creditor, you’re added to a list of all the people the company owes money to. Other people, for example banks, will get paid first, so you might not get anything.

Applying for a ‘Section 75 claim’ from your credit card provider if the item or work cost more than £100 and you paid with a credit card

Asking for ‘chargeback’ from your bank or card provider if you paid with a debit card

Further useful advice can also be found on the website citizensadvice.org.uk. You can also report problems and get consumer advice via this website or by phoning 0808 2231133

If you’re looking for a new career and want to help people in your community, a job in social care could be the right move.