Wrexham Council has been recognised for its work on aiming to become a dementia friendly authority.
The council has been recognised as ‘Working towards becoming dementia friendly’ by the Alzheimer’s Society.
A dementia-friendly community is where people with dementia are understood, respected and supported. In a dementia friendly community people will be aware of and understand dementia, so that people with dementia can continue to live in the way they want to and in the community they choose.
People with dementia have described a dementia friendly community as one that enables them to:
• Find their way around and be safe
• Access the local facilities that they are used to and where they are known (such as banks, shops, cafes, cinemas and post offices)
• Maintain their social networks so they feel they continue to belong
Dementia friendly communities are those in which people with dementia have the best possible opportunities to live well.
The work the council has been doing focuses on improving inclusion and quality of life through training and awareness raising within communities and organisations so they are better able to respond to the needs of those living with dementia and their carers.
Some of the work that we have done includes:
• Training small business owners, staff, PCSOs and members of the community in Holt
• Training School teachers, KS4 & KS6 children and scout groups
• Training departments within the council
• Training all members of our senior leadership team
• Organising the Dementia Tour Bus to visit the authority on a number of occasions
• Investment in a new unique training facility called Dementia Interpreter
• Holt and Chirk have become Dementia Friendly communities
• Opportunities for community based activity groups that benefit those living with dementia to receive small grants.
• Training drivers from a local taxi firm
• Launch of a book with schools called ‘Harry helps Grandpa remember’
If you would like to get in touch to either receive Dementia Friends Awareness session please contact – firstname.lastname@example.org or you may even be interested in entering the care industry to help care and support those living with Dementia please contact email@example.com
Get the latest gritting info straight into your inbox
SIGN ME UP NOW