Did you know that if you employ a young person between the ages of 13 and 17 you need a permit?

How do I get a permit?

Employment permits are specific to the child, the employer, the place of work and the type and hours of work. If a child has more than one job, they will need a permit for each job.

Employment permits depend on where the child will be working not the head office of the employer.

Get news and info from your local council – sign-up for email bulletins.

To apply for a child employment permit you’ll need to complete an application form and return it to the address on the form together with;

  • A risk assessment relating to the activities planned for the young person
  • Copies of employers public and personal liability insurance
  • 2 passport style photographs of the child

To obtain a permit please contact

The Child Employment team on  or on 01978 268140.

Here’s some useful advice about employing young people:

  • By law you cannot employ a child under the age of 13
  • You can apply for a permit once the child has had their 13th birthday
  • Children can only be employed in specific types of work
  • No child can work at any time between 7pm and 7am
  • No child can work more than 2 hours on a school day
  • A child who works for 4 hours must have a break of at least 1 hour
  • There are different working hours allowed for 13/14 year olds and 15/16 year olds
  • No child can work for more 2 hours on a Sunday

Fines and penalties

If you fail to obtain a work permit for a child that you employ, you may be fined up to £1,000.

Get our top stories by email.