Today we are sharing the news that a suitable city centre location has been secured for our tenants at the Butchers and General Market as we look to refurbish these locations.
The Butcher’s Market was opened in 1848 and the General Market in 1879; they are both now in need of essential maintenance, repairs and modernisation.
Our historic markets are part of the fabric of Wrexham and contribute to the character and heritage of Wrexham’s City Centre. The refurbishment is part of the Wrexham Townscape Heritage Scheme plans that looks to improve and develop the Wrexham City Centre Conservation Area.
The modernisation of these listed buildings will not be to the detriment of their listed status, but will provide tangible benefits to our traders and visitors. Renovating and future proofing our historic markets will draw in a new audiences and generate footfall as a City Centre destinations in their own right.
It was not practical to have the traders remain onsite as we undertook the extensive work needed to bring these buildings up to a standard to fulfil their potential – therefore a temporary home for our traders was sought.
After exploring several options a preferred site on Queens Square has been secured as the temporary home for our market traders. The City Centre location, just a short walk from the bus station and current market locations is set to be fitted out over the coming months ahead of welcoming the traders next spring.
Lead Member for Economy & Regeneration, Councillor Nigel Williams said: “Many of our loyal traders have been with us for a long time, so it was very important for us to source the most suitable City Centre site available. Before, during and after the move we will look at promoting the location of the site to ensure that customers past and present are aware of the location.
*The Wrexham Townscape Heritage Scheme is funded through the National Lottery Heritage Fund, Welsh Government – Transforming Towns Fund, and Wrexham County Borough Council capital programme