The shining stars of Wrexham’s sporting community had their chance to shine at an awards ceremony, marking out those who’ve worked tirelessly to boost community sports in Wrexham.
The annual Wrexham County Borough Council Sports Awards 2018, supported by Active Wrexham, took place in a ceremony at the Brymbo Sports and Social Complex.
With more than 100 nominations, members of the independent panel were hard pressed to determine the best of the best in each category, singling out the very best of Wrexham’s community sporting stars.
The winners in each category were:
- Lowri Davies – Sports Personality of the Year (Sponsored by Freedom Leisure)
- Rhosnesni Netball – Organisation of the Year (Sponsored by Wrexham Tennis Centre)
- Gary Price – NERS Award in Health (Sponsored by the National Exercise Referral Scheme)
- Stephen Parker – Coach of the Year (Sponsored by Charisma Trophies)
- Elliot Odunaiya – Junior Sports Personality of the Year (Sponsored by Cllr I. David Bithell MBE)
- Mark Andrew Jones – Volunteer of the Year (Sponsored by AVOW)
- Megan Weetman – Disability Sports Personality of the Year (Sponsored by Arriva Trains Wales)
- Phil Jones – Services to Sport (Presented by the Arnold Griffiths Award)
Cllr Andrew Atkinson, incoming Lead Member for Youth Services and Anti-Poverty, with responsibility for leisure, said: “I was very pleased to have attended the Sports Awards. The opportunity to meet the winners and nominees was a pleasure, and whether they won or not, they all deserve our gratitude for the hard work they’ve put in to the sporting scene in Wrexham.
“All those involved tend to be volunteers, who are putting in the work they do out of passion and dedication alone, and it’s thanks to them that Wrexham has a strong network of clubs, teams and community sporting associations.”
Cllr Atkinson added: “I’d like to congratulate the Active Wrexham team on a superb and incredibly well run event. Everything went flawlessly, the team were so professional – it was just brilliant.”
Never miss a bin collection – sign up for weekly email reminders now.
GET BIN REMINDERS