Since we re-opened our Household Recycling Centres (HRC) we’ve had reports of a lot of ‘man with a van’ services offering to get rid of waste for people at the moment.
Our HRCs are for the use of Wrexham residents’ household waste only. No commercial waste can be disposed of at these sites, including the disposal of rubbish from ‘man and a van’ clearance services. All HRC’s are monitored and anyone who is visiting regularly will be turned away and may resort to fly-tipping your rubbish.
If you do have large amounts of rubbish to dispose of please ensure that you use a reputable company to do it on your behalf. The company acting on your behalf can’t dispose of the items at our household recycling centres but must dispose of it at a private licensed facility.
There are instances, many in fact, where you may have paid someone to take rubbish away without realising they’ve taken your money and then just dumped the rubbish wherever they can. Leaving you liable if it can be traced back to you.
So, if you’re paying someone to take your rubbish please make sure they’re legit. They should have a Waste Carrier’s Licence, if not – don’t use them as they’re very likely to fly tip it and you’ll be responsible and liable to prosecution if they’re caught or if it can be traced back to you.
Cllr David A Bithell, lead member for environment and transport, said: “There are shocking instances of fly-tipping on social media and it costs us to remove it. We always check if there is anything in the rubbish to identify the owner and if so we will not hesitate to prosecute. Please, either use a reputable firm or even pay a visit to one of the three household recycling centres. Please don’t leave it to chance and risk prosecution because of someone else’s dubious behaviour.”
Our Household Recycling Centres
- Bryn Lane 8am-8pm daily.
- Plas Madoc 9am-8pm daily
- Brymbo 9am-8pm daily (appointment only)
Please follow these 10 rules:
- Don’t go to the sites if you or anyone in your household has symptoms of Covid-19, or is ‘shielding’ because of an underlying health condition.
- Only bring household waste. Don’t bring commercial or business waste.
- Bring proof that you live in the county borough (e.g. a utility bill with your address on it). The sites are for Wrexham residents only. If you don’t have proof, you won’t be allowed to tip your rubbish. Please call 01978 801463 to book an appointment if you want to use the Brymbo site.
- Be patient if you have to queue. A maximum of five vehicles will be allowed on site at any one time.
- Make sure only one person steps outside your vehicle to unload it, and that they stick to social distancing.
- Don’t bring items that are too big or heavy to handle yourself. Our site attendants won’t be able to help you unload your car or dispose of your waste.
- Sort your waste before you arrive (so you’re quicker).
- Be polite. Aggressive behaviour towards staff won’t be tolerated. Site attendants will be equipped with body cameras.
- Don’t touch your face on-site, and bring your own sanitiser if you can (clean your hands with sanitizer before you drive away).
- If you have items for the reuse shop (e.g. bicycles and other goods in useable condition) please keep them at home for now.
If you choose to visit your local HWRC and leave waste outside the gates whilst it’s closed, this is classed as fly-tipping. You would be breaking the law, and likely to receive a fine or have to attend court.
LATEST INFO ON COVID-19