Workman Wrexham Trading Standards

Wrexham Trading Standards have received a very concerning report of a man falsely claiming to be from Wrexham Council’s “gas and water board” to attempt to gain access to a property.

The man approached a woman at her home in Gwersyllt and when he was asked to provide valid ID, he was unable to do so.

Suspicious of this, the woman then called up Wrexham Council and we confirmed to her that the man didn’t work for our service.

Please be aware that Wrexham Council doesn’t have a ‘water board’ and that all service providers such as Hafren Dyfrdwy (our local water company) would make an appointment before visiting. They wouldn’t call out of the blue expecting to gain entry into your home.


That wasn’t the end of the matter though. The trader later returned with another man and was more aggressive, banging on the door and shaking the door handle to try and gain entry, which left the woman and her husband feeling very intimated.

Roger Mapleson, Trading Standards and Licensing Lead, said: “It’s good to see that in this case the householder identified that the caller was suspicious and took steps to check and protect themselves. However, this doesn’t always happen.

“Many people faced with this kind of situation will be either charmed or intimidated by the caller and can end up becoming a victim of doorstep crime, paying large sums for unnecessary and poor quality work.

“Householders faced with a caller who says they are from the council or any other organisation should try to check with the organisation directly to verify that the caller is genuine. Any legitimate caller will completely understand and will wait while checks are made.

“If in the end you cannot be sure that the call is genuine, don’t let the person into your house or give them personal information. If the caller becomes aggressive or if you are feeling threatened at all, call the Police.

“I urge all residents to be on their guard against this type of caller, report anything suspicious in your neighbourhood and, in particular lookout for friends, family and neighbours who may be vulnerable”.

If you want to report something you think is suspicious, please contact either Citizens Advice Consumer Services on 03454 040506 or North Wales Police on 101.

If you want to complain or get any advice about goods or services you have bought please contact Citizens Advice Consumer Services on 03454 040506.

Keep safe from fraudsters, get our alerts!

Sign up for scam alerts here!