We all love our food, there’s simply no denying it but is the safety of our food something we just take for granted?

As part of National Food Safety week (4-10 June) we’re working with the Food Standards Agency to spotlight food safety and the team working behind the scenes to help ensure that the food we all buy and eat is safe.

We have a team of dedicated food safety officers who visit local food businesses to make sure their hygiene standards are up to scratch. They visit businesses that supply or serve food direct to customers such as restaurants, pubs, cafes, takeaways, food vans or stalls, canteens, hotels, supermarkets, schools, hospitals and care homes.

SPOTTED A POTHOLE? REPORT IT HERE.

They give each business a Food Hygiene Rating from 0 which is not very good at all and requires urgent improvement to a 5 which very good and is the highest rating any business can expect.

In Wrexham we have 1350 premises to check and 98% of them are currently at 3 star or more – that’s a pretty good percentage but food safety officers won’t sit back – they’ll continue to inspect and advise businesses to get the remaining 2% to improve their rating.

How can I check the food rating of a business?

It’s easy to check a food rating of a business as they should be displaying a green and black sticker either in their window or door or somewhere where it’s easy for the customer to see. If you can’t see it – ask politely where it is? You can also check online at http://ratings.food.gov.uk/.

“Peace of Mind”

Cllr Hugh Jones, Lead Member for Communities, Partnerships, Public Protection and Community Safety, said: “We have a very hard working team who ensure that food is safe so we can all have peace of mind when buying our food or eating out. The Food Standards Ratings have proved very successful in raising the standards in food businesses not only across Wrexham but across Wales and I would everyone to start checking them out – they’re available for their benefit.”

Spotted a pothole? Report it easily and quickly online.

REPORT A POTHOLE