If you rent a house from a private landlord and have an urgent problem with your property, here is some advice on how to get help during the Covid-19 lockdown.

Emergencies, such as electrical or gas defects (including lack of hot water or heating), drainage issues or increased fire risk should all be reported to your landlord, but if you are unable to get help from them you can call the Council’s Public Protection team.

You can contact Public Protection via email at healthandhousing@wrexham.gov.uk or by calling the contact centre on 01978 292000.


When we receive your complaint about poor conditions, a case officer will contact you to discuss the defects and may ask for photographic or video evidence to enable us to assess the risk.

Public Protection staff may also visit your home, while observing social distancing and wearing personal protective equipment, or arrange to assess the problem via a video call.

To enable us to call you back, we need you to gather the following information:

  • full property address
  • your contact details, both telephone and email wherever possible
  • a description of defects and their effect on you
  • if there are any occupants displaying signs or symptoms of Covid-19
  • if any occupants are considered to vulnerable persons, including any key workers
  • if anyone is shielding within the property

Tenancy Relations and Evictions during COVID-19

The UK Government has put together a series of measures to protect renters affected by Covid-19. This means that no renter, in either social or private accommodation, will be forced out of their home.

Advice to tenants

The Council is still investigating complaints of harassment and illegal eviction. If you make a complaint a case officer will contact you to with advice.

We provide information and advice to tenants on a variety of subjects, including:

  • threat of eviction
  • harassment from your landlord
  • repairs to rented property
  • mobile home sites
  • licensing of rented accommodation.

Advice to landlords

As a landlord, you are still responsible for complying with all relevant legislation.

Please note that we don’t advise landlords on how to comply with legislation, and any information provided doesn’t constitute advice. You should seek your own expert advice (e.g. from a landlord association or solicitor).

Read the most up-to-date information about Covid-19.